Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Lindsay - August 1, 2016

Hello Everyone!

Monsoon season has arrived!! It literally storms every day! And it is so much cooler than Tucson! I am grateful for the blessing God has given me to serve here! :) This week was a little rough, but it ended well. On Wednesday we saw Avery again. (He is 8 years old). Apparently his family has been giving him tea to drink every so often, and they aren't too supportive of him getting baptized. His grandparents are the only support for Avery. So we taught him about the Word of Wisdom. and committed him to live it. We are hoping that he follows it! Later in the day, we had dinner with the Werner's. They are the cutest old couple ever! A month earlier we shared a message with them and invited them to give a Book of Mormon to someone. When we followed up with them to see if they had done that, Sister Werner just looked at me and gave me the most guilty and shameful face. She told us, "Can you tell from my face what the answer is?" haha! She was sooo cute! They told us that they would try super hard to pray about and find someone to give the Book of Mormon to. They are the best!

The next day, we did a lot of door knocking at this trailer complex. We met a guy named Joe and he was a less active, who we think could be in another ward in Silver City. He was very respectful of us, and we talked to him, and ended up giving him a Book of Mormon. He told us that he hadn't read it in 10 years. So we hope the Spirit will touch his heart!! That night, we had dinner with the Cooks. As we walked in, we asked Brother Cook how he was doing. He told us that he had a miserable day. Sister Cook has a lot of health problems, and so I think it was hard on Brother Cook to see her having a hard time. But by the end of the night, we got into a wonderful gospel discussion about experiences with the Book of Mormon, and experiences that strengthened their relationship with God. It was so cool to see the transformation from being miserable, to happy. Even active members of the church need a spiritual message to brighten up their day, and help them to overcome trials. It was an awesome experience for all of us!

On Saturday we went on exchanges! I went with Sister Stebar, and she is literally the funniest person you will ever meet! haha! My stomach was hurting by the end of the exchange, because we literally laughed the whole day!! haha! We had some amazing experiences! In the morning we taught David who is a less active. I honestly have a hard time connecting with him! I just act so awkwardly!!! It drives me insane! So when I taught with Sister Stebar, it was so much better, and David was able to open up to us about his life, and the challenges that he was going through. We were truly led by the Spirit through that lesson. Then we decided to go and see a less active named Jack who was at this medical center in Bayard. The ward council and bishop encouraged us to go visit him, because he hasn't received any visits from the ward members aside from the sacrament being brought every Sunday. He was soooooo happy to see us! He expressed his gratitude to us that he was glad we came. He told us that we were lucky to have the opportunity to go out and visit people and share the gospel. He was the sweetest man, I just wanted to hug him!

Later that day, our relief society president from 3rd ward texted us and said that Sister Wolfington in the ward needed her fingernails clipped, and she couldn't do it because she was helping someone else in the ward. That has probably been the most bizarre request I have received on my mission!! haha! But we went over there, and did it! Sister Wolfington shakes really bad, so it was really hard not to clip her! But it turned out good! She apologized that she was shaking so bad, but we told her it was ok and just talked with her. We had an amazing discussion afterwards on faith. She told us that other people in her life, have strengthened her faith by their example. She was able to become active in the church because of a loving couple who helped her come to church every week. It was so sweet to hear her testimony and my faith was definitely strengthened because of that experience.

We also saw Jesus again! Oh my goodness, he is an amazing person! We taught him the Restoration, and he was hilarious! I asked him if he knew about Joseph Smith and his story, and Jesus told us that he knew most of it. So I said, "That's awesome! What do you remember?" He just looked at me and paused and said, "Oh, I don't know about his story!" Haha!! Sister Stebar and I laughed so hard!!! So we taught him about Joseph Smith, and then invited him to pray to know if Joseph Smith is a true prophet. Also in that lesson we asked him the question, "How would you feel if you saw God and Jesus Christ?" Jesus told us that his friend responded to that question by saying, "I don't know the dude, so..... haha!!!! What a lesson that was!!!

We also had a wonderful Sabbath day! We spoke in church, and I talked about conversion. It was a really good topic for me, and it helped me to see how we can become converted unto the Lord. I found this talk called "Hour of Conversion". The speaker talked about 4 things that can help us to be converted. The first is desire, than works, prayer, and trusting in the Lord. I truly believe that those four things can help us to have faith, take action and become the people that God wants us to be. So that is my week! I love being a missionary, and serving God's children!! I know that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is true!!

Sincerely,

Sister Dunn

No comments:

Post a Comment